Thursday, October 31, 2013

scarey day blues

It's Halloween again, and also the beginning of the closely related El Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead).

The Wikipedia article on the subject tells us both celebrations grew out of the triduum (three day observance) of Hallowmas, the time designated in the liturgical calendar when the faithful who have passed on before us are honored along with all saints and martyrs.

Whether the holiday descends from earlier, pagan celebrations  is of little matter, for halloween in the USA has evolved into a children's holiday. In Mexico and other parts of Latin America, where tradition looms much larger than it does here, El Dia de los Muertos remains closer to the intentions of medieval clerics.

As for me this October 31st, I'll paraphrase the words of the late, great Blind Willie McTell:

I done got reckless and broke my baby's rules;
You know I done got reckless and I broke my mama's rules;
Now I'm here wanderin round Utah with these doggone scarey day blues.


No comments: