Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Fire on the Mountain


...Then comes the wind, and about four in the afternoon a fire on the mountain, an auspicious event, even though violent and frightening. The mountain is an oracle.

Of fire on the mountain, the I Ching says:

56. Lu / The Wanderer

(trigram) above: Li -- The Clinging, Flame
(trigram) below: Kên -- Keeping Still, Mountain

The Judgement

The Wanderer. Success through smallness.
Perseverance brings good fortune
To the wanderer.

The Image

Fire on the mountain:
The image of the Wanderer.
Thus the superior man
Is clear-minded and cautious
In imposing penalties,
And protracts no lawsuits.


The fire on the mountain is a sign that I will soon be far from here, (but I will keep this place to come back to). For a time, I will wander and drift, to where necessity dictates, and I may eventually move from here.

Bob Dylan wrote a similarly titled song, "Thunder on the Mountain:"

Gonna raise me an army, some tough sons of bitches
I'll recruit my army from the orphanages
I been to St. Herman's church, said my religious vows
I've sucked the milk out of a thousand cows
.

But that's just one verse of 12. It's on his "Modern Times" CD.

1 comment:

Joe said...

Dave

I wish you a very rewarding journey.

Joe