Saturday, August 30, 2008

'Tis the Season


It's now the silly season, and I've resolved to stop writing about politics until November, probably two or three times. But I just wanted to say one more thing before I actually do so. Then I'll change the subject.

I'm happy and grateful that Barack Obama is the Democratic nominee, even if he doesn't win. Just the fact that he was nominated shows that this country has made progress in the last 60 years, and that the U.S. isn't totally hopeless, weak, and stupid.

This nomination means a lot to many, many people, black and white.

On the other hand, even if he gains the White House, I doubt that Obama would or could ever rock the ship of state by challenging the Empire of the Pentagon, Inc., or the war machine's stranglehold on this country's resources, or Americans' sense of entitlement and specialness, or our refusal to join the human race and stop acting like we own the world, despite his soothing words and good intentions.

He's shown way too much willingness to adapt to the demands of the status quo to make any real changes in that direction.

But at least we got something positive out of this silly season. A black man is running for president, and I for one am grateful for what progress we've made, and I'll not cry about what we're not getting. We'll have to join the human race and say "no" to nuclear madness another year.

No comments: