Thursday, January 01, 2009

Clearing Away the Past


I'm only now resolving myself to the necessity of dealing with the infinite complexity of the Victorian clutter by which I'm surrounded, but the resolution inspires visions of a simpler, more satisfying life, beyond the pointless and obsessive busyness of the wallpaper. It's time to let go of dead matter, past relationships, and outmoded ways of thinking.

There will be five eclipses in the heavens in 2009, just as there were five on earth in 2008. Eclipsed these past 12 months were our debt-fueled, Ponzi-driven, overheated economy, the American Hegemony Project, the Republican Party, Hollywood as the paradigm of stylish behavior, and the ascendancy of mindless, reactionary religiosity. Eclipses are, according to one astrologer, like "keyholes in time where a sudden insight or change of circumstances can propel you in a new direction."

Enormous numbers of people are being thrown out of work. I sense a shift brewing in our relationship patterns. Can the newly impoverished continue to sit in their houses, isolating themselves from their fellow-sufferers and zoning out with "American Idol?" Or will they discover a common bond and learn to act in concert to demand change?

Just as it's essential for me to work through the clutter of daily existence, time and energy intensive as that is, and open my mind to new possibilities, it's essential for us as a people to unite to work through our present difficulties, with an eye to what positive outcomes they may lead to. Hand weeding rows of lettuce on an organic farm may not be what we went to college for, but it's an honest way to make a buck.

I can feel renewal pushing against our skins from the inside, waiting to be born with pain, blood, tears, and great difficulty.

2 comments:

Joe said...

Modern timse involves lots of options for material possession. I find that it can tend to overwhelm.

Rod said...

My old man always used to say "As one door closes, another opens"...I can see an awful lot of doors in our stars. Carpe Diem my friends..Carpe Diem.