Saturday, January 24, 2009

Not Working


I keep forgetting I'm not working. OK, I don't really forget, it's just a pretty easy thing to take for granted. You get used to not working in a hurry.

I don't even know if I could hold a job any more. Working wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that in addition to working you, they often try to make your whole life miserable too, as if that was part of the deal. Sometimes you have to learn elaborate courtesy rituals in order to mesh with weird Byzantine hierarchical structures and pecking-order behaviors, and that sort of thing is just too much monkey business for me to be involved with, as the song says.

I'm doing okay not working. It's all right for right now. So please don't rattle my alarm clock at five in the morning. I get up slowly and peacefully at five as it is, but it takes me three hours to get ready to face the day. Seriously.

But don't think I'm lacking ambition. I've got plenty of that. I want to make a CD with my buddy from long ago and call it Tudaves and play guitars while singing and play drums and be a big music star and on the cover of the Rolling Stone. And also we should make a video and put it up on YouTube.

Thinking about it makes me feel like a productive citizen. It's just what the world needs, now more than ever -- another YouTube video.

3 comments:

Rod said...

Sorry Dave...forgot to say that, speaking of music, I did hop onto your Myspace site and listened to you and the guys. Sounds like a lotta fun mate...they're a wild looking bunch of folk!
Send me a copy of the first Tudaves CD.

Joe said...

Me too about being used to not working. Or maybe it's that i never could tolerate the world, the way it is kept, enough to endure work.

Dave keep doing what your like being good at regardless of the latest fads that affect what the world thinks is important.

Trevor Warmedahl said...

The worst is having dreams about being at work. They pay us for our waking hours, but they get our sleep for free.