Saturday, January 10, 2009

On the Road Again


Made a little over 500 miles today in about eight hours, so it's late (and light) posting today. I feel the effects of ageing more intensely with every passing month, and after six hours in the car I'm fried. But I had to push on to stay on schedule.

Arrived exhausted at the motel (which shall remain nameless) only to find after chekcing in that their internet router is down. That seems to be the case in about half the little burgs along the road, and if you turn to the desk personnel for help getting on line you might as well be talking to a beast of burden.

Good thing they have a public computer in the lobby. And at least I have a lot of big beds (that's just one of my little jokes, thankyouverymuch; I'm not staying in the room in the picture, and have only one, normal-size bed).

Tomorrow's drive will be easy: 300 miles to San Francisco. This will be kind of a sad visit. Rachel is packing up her apartment and getting ready to move. She's been at that corner in the Haight-Ashbury District a long time, and I have a lot of happy memories of that place and that neighborhood. Also, I'll have to say good-bye to Jawad who owns and runs the wonderful coffee shop across the street. Jawad has a nephew in Gaza, and I almost dread asking him if there's any news from there.

I'll be in Desert Hot Springs by Wednesday. I don't know if it's a mistake going there or not. Guess I'll find out.

4 comments:

Joe said...

I hope you have a safe trip.

Sator Arepo said...

Be well, Cboxx.

Sue said...

Glad to know you're not bored in Port Ludlow this weekend. Is there sunshine down there??

Not-the-Nun-type-Sister Sue

Rod said...

Vaya con Dios my friend...stay well.