Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Peace of Mind


How I long for peace of mind.

If there was any way to stop thinking about the wars and the economy and the political clusterfuck and laughing stock this country has become, I'd do it. I'm sick of it. I'm so profoundly weary of television's shrieking talking heads and their phony, contrived interviews with wingnut Republicans, smug plutocrats, and hypocritical liberals that I rarely turn it on any more. I can't stand to listen to any more talking points, and I live in fear of getting drawn into political conversations with "the man in the street," who frequently indulges himself in violent fantasies aimed at imaginary villains.

I can't do it any more. Not today, anyway.

Why can't we dispense with the hysteria and just live and let live? It's obviously the hysteria, composed of equal parts paranoia and greed, that's got us into the mess we're in.

Maybe I can stop thinking about it, and writing about it, and talking about it. In order to do that I'd have to stop experiencing anxiety over it. I've got no debts and a little bit set aside, but I'm worried that the big inflation our ruling class has planned for us, which they're going to set in motion to wipe out their own debts, will leave me with nothing. So I sit around jonesing over the coming inflation, as if there was something I could do about it.

Inflation. Kunstler calls it "the eraser of debt, the destroyer of fortunes, the suicide pill of governments."

Maybe the best advice I ever got was the admonition to "accept the things I cannot change." Since tranquility and serenity are what I'm looking or right now, I'd better accept it.

1 comment:

Joe said...

Dave, glum is in the aether today. This morning I was reflecting on the harm predatory competition has had on me as well.

I was thinking about the effect the system has on the Houses in government, specifically about health care. We are told that national health care rations care. But what worse rationing is there than total denial of care.

I have decided that predatory competition is the root of evil for humans. I coined that term because I can't think of a better one. I know now what we must oppose.

You are, without any doubt in my mind, the best writer I know.