Thursday, March 05, 2009

History Ain't What it Used to Be



That's a quote from Yogi Berra, a very wise man. And it's another way of saying "Everything that arises shall pass away." That's a quote from the Buddha.

But that's enough quoting. I'm tempted to complain about the way people, places, and things pass away, but I really can't. I've got a pretty good deal going here, in this cold, dark, wet place where moss grows on everything. Actually, it's funny how things invariably work to my advantage, even the wet and the moss, seemingly by accident.

For example, I can no longer smoke cigarettes because they give me a really terrible hangover now. I know, I know, I shouldn't smoke 'em because I already have emphysema, they could kill me in a heartbeat, it's an obnoxious habit and people won't like you, etc.

But there's nothing like strong, immediate, harshly negative reinforcement to make you stop doing behavior "X" -- you know, you do it and your ass immediately falls off. Concrete physical pain trumps abstract philosophy.

So on balance, I got nuthin' to complain about. We're like old cars, going down the road with nuts and bolts falling off, but everything still works and we're still running.

Just one more quote: James Brown said, "At my age, if you've got your hair and your teeth, you've got just about everything."

And in these days of plague, "cancer free" are magical words.

Man, didn't Lauren Bacall look great, back in the day?

2 comments:

Joe said...

Those were some days.

I have to say, if that's what it takes for you to stay off the smokes, then I'm all for it.

desert mirage said...

no kidding

I still think she is gorgeous but last night I saw a great movie, Hurricane, and she was beyond beauty bacl in the day.