Monday, May 11, 2009

Alarums and Diversions


Jim Kunstler keeps mentioning the possibility of food shortages as one of the effects of the economic crisis. He comes back to it week after week, and this week is no exception. In today's column at CN he wrote:

It remains to be seen what may happen on the food production scene, but the current severe shortage of capital and the intense droughts shaping up around the world will resolve into a much clearer picture by mid-summer. The price of oil has resumed marching up and has now re-entered a range ($50-plus) that spun the airline industry into bankruptcy last time around.

I'd be interested in knowing what my friends who work in the retail grocery and restaurant businesses think of this possibility.

I'm not alarmed, but I believe prudence is more pragmatic, if less attractive, than bravado. Therefore, before spring unwinds much farther into summer and we head for the fall, I'll be laying in the following provisions in quantities sufficient to last me between six weeks and two months;

*Brown rice and whole wheat flour;
*Onions and carrots (to be stored securely in the basement);
*Potatoes and tomato sauce;
*Cooking oil, and vinegar and/or soy sauce;
*Pinto beans and split peas;
*Canned fruit and canned fish;
*Toilet paper and coffee.

No need for water; a freshwater creek runs near the house.

I suppose I should get shotgun shells too, but I don't have a shotgun.

--30--

1 comment:

desert mirage said...

I know a fella that works in the phosphate mines. Last year phosphate was $2700 a ton and they could not mine enough. There was a waiting list. they worked 3 shifts 7 days a week. This year phosphate is $400 a ton and nobody's buying. He said it is getting a little late to be putting phosphate on the fields.

rut row