Sunday, May 03, 2009

Civic Doody


A Montana citizen recently decided to tell local court system officials exactly how he felt after receiving a jury summons.

"Apparently you morons did not understand me the first time," Eric Slye, a painter of automobiles wrote on his notarized request to be excused from service. "I CANNOT take time off from work.

"I'm not putting my familys (sic) well being at stake to participate in this crap," the incensed potential juror continued. "I don't believe in our 'justice' system and I don't want to have a goddam thing to do with it. Jury duty is a complete waste of time."

Had he stopped there, Mr. Slye might have avoided trouble. But at this point he somewhat unfortunately moved from jurisprudential to anatomical observations. "I would rather count the wrinkles on my dogs (sic) balls than sit on a jury," the offended citizen declared. "Get it through your thick skulls." He then appended for good measure, "Leave me the F--K alone."

The Associated Press coverage of this minor occurrence notes only that Mr. Slye "was ordered by a judge to apologize to court clerks at a hearing last week," and that "His wife Jennifer says her husband couldn't be reached for comment...She says she was the one who wrote it."

Maybe so, but he signed it. I sympathize with the guy, though. I think we all can look back on times in our lives when we gave in to the temptation to exercise what can only be called poor judgment.

Sorry, folks, but it's a slow news day.

--30--

No comments: