Saturday, August 29, 2009

Nico the Devil


I suppose yesterday was one to celebrate, since it marked the first time in many years that this old body has been free of nicotine for 30 consecutive days. The problem was I didn't feel like celebrating; It was one of the toughest days wrestling with the devil I've endured in the two years since I more or less quit for good.

I say more or less because during that time I've slipped and stumbled a bunch of times, in addition to wearing a nicotine patch through most of it. But I'm all done with all that now, although yesterday I had my doubts several times.

I know not everyone has this much trouble with quitting smoking. It's hard for everyone, but some are sicker than others, and I seem to be sicker than most. I ate early yesterday, and lay down exhausted from the struggle shortly after five in the afternoon.

It's still early in the morning, but already a much better day today than yesterday. I took an early boat to the city, and I'm getting ready to participate in one yoga class and observe another. It's one of those perfect Seattle days, weather wise -- light rain and warm temperatures this morning, which will burn off into one of those perfect, mild late summer days by this afternoon. All in all, it's a good day for a celebration.

1 comment:

Joe said...

The good thing to hear is that the struggle continues. With addictions there is either the struggle or it's gotten you. After a while, it gets weaker and weaker.

Keep your feet dug in on it Dave. --Joe