Monday, August 31, 2009

Roadside Beauty


Look at these beautiful, bright yellow daisy-like flowers with orange centers. They're so bright that on a gloomy, foggy morning like today's they absolutely dazzle the eye. And yet they're nothing more than roadside weeds.

They're small; each bloom is about the size of a quarter.

I found them growing beside the blacktop on my way up to the village store to buy bananas this morning. I don't know how common they are because I've never seen them before.

If I had been driving instead of walking I'd have never spotted them. But I'm becoming a big believer in slowing down enough to get rewarded by things exactly like this. These gorgeous flowers provided one of the high points in my day, however humble, unremarkable, and commonplace they might be.

--30--

1 comment:

Joe said...

It's a nice feeling that many of the best things really are free.