Monday, February 15, 2010

worse than sad


In this place where the clouds roll in and stay for months at a time, obscuring the sunlight and driving people indoors, you hear a lot about something called Seasonal Affective Disorder -- SAD. for short. It's really nothing more than weather-induced depression, accompanied like most any depression is with ennui and lethargy. I've never had it, and it doesn't sound like a lot of fun, but I think there are probably worse things that we don't hear a lot about. I'm thinking of skin problems caused by lack of sunlight.

I've had what I think is psoriasis for several months now, and I'm almost certain it's caused by vitamin D deficiency. Our bodies synthesize D, so essential to optimum health, from sunlight, so I imagine there are significant numbers of people living in this region who experience skin problems commonly associated with that particular deficiency.

I also think I'd rather have SAD than hot, itchy, flaky red spots all over my body, if I had to choose.

At first I was treating this crud with a topical remedy, but the affected areas just waned, then waxed again. So I've been taking a D supplement for the past week, and the eruptions are finally starting to fade away -- slowly.

Even better, the sun has been coming out a little more often lately, and today on my way home from the store I parked the car at Sandel Park, took off my jacket and pulled my long sleeves up to the elbows, and took a stroll around the margin of this lovely place which occupies about two city blocks. I walked past a young man who was walking a baby in a stroller. I saw a young couple shooting hoops on the basketball court, and paused to drink in a few rays at the empty wading pool. A cognitively incapacitated adult was having the time of his life going very high on one of the park swings, and an overweight lady was walking her overweight dog -- good for both of them.

Most importantly, I got a few minutes worth of sunshine on my face and arms. Spring is not too far off now, so I'm not itching to move out of this area -- yet. But I'm all but certain I'll be spending next winter in a warmer climate. I wonder what post-meltdown rents are like in Arizona.

2 comments:

Jessie Forster said...

You know, my husband never sees the sun. He does get the red spots, and we don't know what to do about the spots. He also gets depressed. I told him he needs sun, but he doesn't like the outdoors and gets very extreme sunburns and is very high risk for skin cancer. I think I will drag him out by his toes.

©∂†ß0X∑® said...

Jessie, I'm no doctor, but I think he needs vitamin D.

You might want to ask a doc.

Good to see you here, by the way.

DB