Wednesday, January 26, 2011

sotu4u


It was a great speech, but actions speak louder than words.

For example, on the subject of ending taxpayer subsidies to oil companies, nice thought, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Same for implementing a broad federal policy of replacing coal-burning electrical generating plants with new, cleaner ways of powering them. Was the speech a wish list or a to-do list?

And I'm surprised he had the nerve to even mention his dislike of tax breaks for millionaires after the way he folded like a wet sack when push came to shove on that issue.

Obama's always been an excellent speaker and he talks a great game. But after watching him actually playing the game these past two years, I've concluded he either can't or won't deliver what he says he will. And let's hope it's the former, because if it's the latter that would make him an even bigger fraud than Ronald "Mr. Balanced Budget" Reagan.

I would like nothing more than to find out I'm totally wrong about this guy. But I'm 99 percent sure I'm not, and that this speech, fine as it was, didn't amount to anything more than warm air.

Afterthought: There is no such thing as "clean coal." It only exists in parallel universes where everyone has a job, children never misbehave, and lovely, white unicorns graze in the pristine meadows.

No comments: