Monday, February 13, 2012

putting on airs


A late-sixties group called Procul Harum sang this:

We skipped the light fandango
turned cartwheels 'cross the floor
I was feeling kinda seasick
but the crowd called out for more
The room was humming harder
as the ceiling flew away
When we called out for another drink
the waiter brought a tray

And so it was that later
as the miller told his tale
that her face, at first just ghostly,
turned a whiter shade of pale


I don't know what that means but I like it. Even better I like the Hammond B-3 organ repeatedly laying down an instrumental interlude said to be based on Johann Sebastian Bach's "Sleepers Awake" from Cantata 140, but which sounds closer to Air on a G String to me.

"One of 16 vestal virgins who was leaving for the coast; and though my eyes were open, they might've well been closed."

1 comment:

Joe said...

I've long liked that one. Ya know, the newer music just doesn't seem to have it.