Wednesday, August 29, 2012

hot and nasty news


They tell me there's a political convention going on in Florida right now. Big, big deal.

Nominating conventions used to mean something, back in the days when I was a lad and the milkman had a horse. They were where the candidates were actually chosen, but since we've now gone to an endlessly tiresome primary system instead, the conventions have degenerated into occasions for posturing and bloviating, and opportunities for hordes of reporters to "cover" a huge non-story and shmooze.

I'd advise everyone to pay it as little attention as possible.

Also, there's a hurricane happening nearby, in Louisiana. I'm told the two stories are unrelated, but there are biblical undertones in the timing of this one, coming seven years after Katrina's destruction of New Orleans.

The universe is grumbling, and I'm afraid.

No comments: