Friday, May 29, 2015

high water everywhere pt 1

Here's one for the folks in south Texas.

This tune Commemorates the Great Mississippi flood of 1927, until hurricane Katrina the Gulf Coast's worst flood disasterSung and played by the great and inimitable Charley Patton, who some find a bit difficult 2 understand. U can read it as U listen.




The black water done rose all around Sumner now, 
drove me down that line; 
Black water done rolled at Sumner, 
drove poor Charley down that line; 
I done tell the world the water, 
done jumped through this town. 

 Lord, the whole round country, 
Lord, the river has overflowed;
Lord, the whole round country, 
man, it’s overflowed;
( spoken: You know I can't stay here, 
I'll go where it's high, boy) 
I would go to the hilly country, 
but, they got me barred. 

Now look-a here now at Leland 
the river was risin' high 
Look-a here boys around Leland tell me, 
river was raisin' high 
(Boy, it's risin' over there, yeah) 
I'm gonna move over to Greenbriar
Bought a ticket, goodbye. 


Look-a here the water now, Lordy, 
Levee broke, rose most everywhere; 
The water at Greenville and Leland, 
Lord, it done rose everywhere;
(Boy, you can't never stay here) 
I was goin down to Rosedale 
but they tell me there's water there. 

Now, the water now, mama, 
done took Charlestown; 
Well, they tell me the water, 
done took Charlestown; 
(Boy, I'm goin' to Vicksburg) 
Well, I'm goin' to Vicksburg, 
for the higher mind. 

I am goin' up that water, 
where lands don't never flow; 
Well, I'm goin' over the hill where, 
water, oh don't never flow; 
(Boy, hit Sharkey County and everything was down in Stovall) 
But, that whole county was leavin', 
over that Tallahatchie shore.
 (Boy, went to Tallahatchie and got it over there.) 

Lord, the water done rushed all up, 
that old Jackson road; 
Lord, the water done raisin, 
over the Jackson road; 
(Boy, it starched my clothes) 
I'm goin' back to the hilly country, 
won't be working no more.



No comments: