Monday, April 07, 2008

Gentle on my Mind


This is a wonderful old 1968 "folk" tune by John Hartford. The song is usually associated with Glen Campbell, and it won a grammy the year it came out.

Fiddler Terry, posting in the comments section at Mudcat.org, tells us how to play a simplified acoustic guitar version of it:


(D)It's just knowin' that your door is always open and your path is free to (Em) walk.
That (A) makes me want to keep my sleepin' bag rolled up and stashed behind your (D) couch.
It's just knowin' I'm not shackled by forgotten words and bonds and ink stains that have dried upon some (Em) line.
That (A) keeps you on the backroads by the rivers of my memory, and for hours you're just gentle on my (D) mind.


During the D chord, walk the bass line down the A string, first with your little finger on the fourth fret (C#), then your index finger on the second fret (B), etc.
Enjoy this great John Hartford song!


Don't forget, this tune also has beautiful, poetic lyrics. You can see them and copy them complete from here.

It works well if you can remember the words and learn how to do Fiddler Terry's suggested bass line. Good luck, fingerpickers.

No comments: