Friday, October 31, 2008

A Perfect Day for Rain


Today is the perfect day for gray clouds, cold temperatures, and steady drizzle.

It's the last day of the dying season -- Halloween in these latitudes, and El Dia de los Muertos a little further south. Gone are the bright, sunshiny afternoons and relatively mild temps of our beautiful, departed October. The winter now sets in, and suddenly we find ourselves with a fire in the fireplace, large and continuous cups of coffee or tea, the extra blanket on the bed, and the light jacket replaced by the coat which has spent the past six months at the back of the closet.

Today it has come home to me, after my first week relocated in the Pacific Northwest, that I'm home for good, and will no longer see 85- and 90-degree days in November. That's fine with me.

I've also assumed a new role and a new life, as a full-time caregiver, as opposed to a full-time I-don't-know-what. And that's also fine with me. It's always better to have a purpose, a mission, and a reason for living, which contrasts favorably to having no purpose at all.

No comments: