Saturday, December 20, 2008

More Snow


It's snowing here again, really hard this time, with dry, medium-size flakes. This is going to be our long-awaited blizzard.

It started about three and will continue through the night. I just hope the flakes stay dry and not too big. It's wet snow that causes serious problems.

Weathermen disagree about how many total inches we'll end up with. Some say four to six. Others say 12 to 22. I say I wish it would stop. The thing that really scares me is the possibility of a power outage, which is a very real danger over here because of all the trees. The branches above powerlines become laden with wet, heavy snow, then come crashing down, and presto! Your all-electric house is now a cave, with a fireplace and some firewood in it, if you're lucky, and I am. But that's the kind of luck I'm hoping not to have to cash in on.

This is only my second day housebound and I'm already dealing with cabin fever. I think I'll be stuck here about two more days, with the inevitable warmup possibly beginning on Tuesday. If the roads are reasonably bare by then, even if it's raining, I'll probably burn about a tank of gas, shopping, running errands, and just driving for the hell of it, because I can.

2 comments:

Sator Arepo said...

Best wishes, C-Boxx. I remember that kind of thing from Iowa. It's fun if you're warm and well-stocked; kind of. Fireplaces and whiskey. Well, not really. It sucks, mostly.

Be well,
SA

Joe said...

Dave, I hope your power stays on. I dread a similar possibility with ice storms, too.

A brighter thing is that my favorite holiday is here--winter solstice. It begins the time of the sun's and warmth's annual return, the beginning of the journey back northward once again.