Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Best Thing in the World

So the bumper sticker this morning was asking something like, "How can you love animals and call them pets when you eat animals and call them dinner?"

It's a good question, and made me feel a little guilty for a moment, until I realized that most of the animals we keep as pets eat other animals too, because they're carnivores. I can always think of some way to rationalize my behavior.

Actually, I eat very little meat anway, mostly chicken and fish, and I'll keep on doing it because a) it helps me keep weight on, and b) it tastes really good.

Especially chicken soup. There is no other food I know of that's both as tasty and spectacularly nutritious as chicken soup. It's so nutritious because all the nutrients in the meat and vegetables stays in the soup itself, if you simmer the concoction slowly
with the top on tightly, just venting a little for steam.

Today I used four chicken legs in a two-quart pot about two-thirds filled with water. Boiled the water; skimmed off tne white stuff; covered and simmered for an hour, then took the meat out, leaving the water hot.

Took half the meat and ate it fresh out of the water, with nothing on it. I love eating chicken this way. It's better than a prime steak.

Added chopped up carrots, celery, some leftover organic baby spinach, and two tablespoons of brown rice, salt and pepper to taste. Simmering now for another hour, which will be up in about 20 minutes. Will serve with crackers and cheddar cheese, and I'll enjoy it, too, I can assure you.

Off Road

I got the last of my stuff out of storage today. Shut down the unit and ended the transit period. I won't live in this condo for much longer, but I'm home to stay.

--30--

1 comment:

Joe said...

I think our situation is made harder by our evolutionary attachment to preying on animals, including fish. Our bodies like a certain amount of those "foods".