Sunday, April 18, 2010

computered out

Because the computer seems to have for some time been dominating my existence in an increasingly unpleasant way, I'm going to have to make a concerted effort to stay away from it.

It's not an exaggeration to say that the machine has eaten my life. I'm at an age and in a situation where I have very few responsibilities and obligations, but I'm neglecting even those few perfunctory tasks, and neglecting myself as well.

I finally realized what's happened to me today, when I got outside for a few hours to enjoy the sunshine and warm weather. It was a gorgeous day, and walking around in Greenwood I felt more alive than I have in some time.

The computer was a very good friend until recently. It got me through a long, difficult time in my life, and I was able to avoid a lot of pain by keeping myself distracted with trivia and idle cyber chatter. When life is too painful to contemplate, it's not a bad idea to endlessly distract oneself. But now changed circumstances require alterations in behavior,

I will probably not be posting here as frequently as in the past, but neither do I plan to abandon the blog, and if I have something I need to write about I'll still come here to express it.

From now on I'd like to use my computer mostly as a radio. I'll go on it in the evening, before bed time, to read and answer e-mails and sometimes write a little bit. But I really need to end the days of being umbilically tied to a machine that has gradually gone from being a friend confidante to being parasite and a drudgery.

--30--

2 comments:

Joe said...

Something like that makes sense. I try to use my computer just once per day unless I have a time sensitive task I'm working on.

desert mirage said...

this will lead to more time out in the sun. seize the moment it is a golden time of year