Friday, April 16, 2010

the golden time

OK, I'll admit our sunrise this morning is not quite as glorious as the one in the picture. It's cloudy right now, and a bit chilly.

However, the overcast will burn off by noon and we'll have sunshine and warmth. The northwest's golden time has arrived, and for the next five months this will be the most idyllic and inviting place on earth. The long winter's night is now definitely passed, and webfoots are opening their windows, putting on their walking shoes, and beginnng to spend half their lives outside.

In the spring and summer, Mt. Rainier dominates the southern skyline like a surreal scoop of vanilla ice cream, and people here go a little bit nuts, but in a good way.

This past winter was relatively mild, especially compared to the blizzards of 2008-09, but I'd still like to figure out a way to spend the six months between mid-October and mid-April in a more southerly clime, then return here or to Portland every spring.

I have nothing special planned for the day. I'm sure I'll spend half of it walking around Greenwood, shopping, socializing, and making friends with passing dogs while sitting outside somewhere drinking peppermint and feeling the sun on my face.

And lo and behold, as I'm typing this, here comes the sun.

No comments: