Friday, May 21, 2010

conditioning


Living with Parkinson's Disease isn't always the same from day to day. It's like the weather; if you don't like what's happening, it'll be different tomorrow. Maybe better, maybe worse, but definitely different. So the first thing I do every morning after rolling out of bed is "Just Stop by to See what Condition My Condition is In," as Kenny Rogers sang 40 years ago while fronting his band, the First Edition (that's Kenny sitting on the bed at right, in case you didn't recognize him).

One thing I've noticed lately is that I seem to be gradually getting better. I haven't changed the amount of medication I take, although I have reason to hope that over time I'll be able to take less. Mostly I've been making gradual dietary changes recommended in the book "Natural Therapies for Parkinson's Disease" by Seattle naturopath Laurie K. Mischley.

Dr. Mischley believes that the progression of PD can be slowed, stopped altogether, or even reversed in some cases. I've been incorporating some of her dietary advice into my daily routine, with noticeable results. It's too early to tell whether the improvement is the result of positive thinking, or due to the small but significant changes I've been making in my eating habits, or just a temporary development. However, I reckon all the fish oil (from natural sources, mostly salmon), pinto beans, and daily intake of blueberries are a health benefit, whether they have a direct impact on Parkinson's or not.

All I can tell you is I feel better more of the time than I did at the start of the year. Symptoms, mainly tremor, are less frequent and less severe than before, and there's plenty of room for a lot more of whatever it is I'm getting, wherever I'm getting it from.

Click on the picture of the First Edition for a slightly larger view.

1 comment:

Joe said...

This is good to hear. I hope it continues and stays better.