Wednesday, May 19, 2010

king dog

In my neighborhood, pets are monarchs. There are a lot of single people and childless couples in Greenwood, and in such households, if there's a dog or maybe a cat or two, the animals pretty much run things.

This is especially true of the dogs, who are much more high-maintenance companions than cats. As often as not around here, the humans' household schedules are determined by king dog's need for frequent walks, outdoor play periods, and so forth.

I saw a number of these regal canines during my morning walk, when the sun was shining brightly on Seattle, before the clouds and rain moved in this afternoon. I made the acquaintance of a couple of them. One was just a puppy -- a nine-months-old (or thereabouts) black lab leashed up outside the Greeenwood Market. He was all tongue and wiggles, and probably would have ended up in my lap if I'd been sitting down.

The other was a more reserved, older fellow, a black-and-white mongrel of some sort, or "mixed breed" animal as we're supposed to call them now. His lady in waiting was kind enough to pause long enough for he and I to acknowledge each other with pats and wags.

That's a little slice of life in Greenwood, Seattle, Washington, where the dog is king.

No comments: