Friday, May 14, 2010

tin shack nation


In Coconiño County they did dwell;
In Coconiño County, known full well...

--The Ballad of Krazy Kat



On a political discussion board I frequent there's a thread called "Boycotting Arizona," and every time I see it it I'm reminded of that movie with Nicholas Cage and Holly Hunter, "Raising Arizona," which makes me smile. But the real Arizona does not make me smile.

Arizona is full of old people with aches and pains and lots of complaints. About everything. A lot of them live in vinyl huts in retirement trailer parks, where everyone else is codgers like themselves. They play bingo and hate the government.

I lived in a retirement trailer park in SoCal for a while. It's kind of like living in the Greyhound bus depot. They're all very similar.

Seething hotbeds of political radicalism, rigid religious fundamentalism, macaroni-and-cheese potlucks, and hot tubs.

That's Arizona for you. Not everybody in Arizona is like what I've described, but an atypically large proportion of Arizonans are just like that.

No comments: