Wednesday, November 17, 2010

soul food

I led a group of people through a yoga sequence today, and it was good.

Good for the body, good for the breath and the mind, good for the soul. I think I could do this every day and not get tired of it.

Practicing yoga doesn't take us out of this world, as the practice is of this world. But it can take a person out of time, for the yoga postures, breathing, and mind set are classical and timeless.

It helps to have a fully-written-out and drawn-out sequence in hand. You can always change it if you need or want to, changing circumstances to respond to changing conditions.

This is much easier than teaching high school English was. You deal mostly with adults who want to participate and enjoy it. There's no paperwork or discipline problems, and if there's a student who's not "getting it," there's always enough time to gently and unobtrusively help that person along without resorting to threats.

I've now settled on my final career. I hope to teach yoga until I die.

1 comment:

Joe said...

Very excellent, Dave!